Levi Preston Smiley


I’ve heard how important it is to get your birth story written down as soon as possible to remember everything – and now I know why. My brain and details/remembering things don’t go together well right now! So before I forget it all, here’s the wonderful story of Levi’s birthday J



I woke up around 4:15am with lots of back pain and cramps. I had been having horrible back pain the previous day, and most of my Braxton Hicks were mainly in my back as well so I didn’t think too much of it.

But then they started getting intense and coming in waves, so I thought, ‘Maybe I should just start timing them.’ I started timing them around 4:30, and they were all a minute long, every 2.5-3 minutes. I had heard for your first that you normally labour for 24 hours or more, so I just thought they’d end. Mark asked if I thought this was it, and I told him confidently, "No way".

By 6:15am, I called the midwives. She listened to me over the phone as I had a couple contractions – there was no way I could talk through them – and she said we should definitely head in.  Mark and I got our last minute things together (yay for being prepared and having everything packed and in the car early!). The ride to the hospital seemed like it took forever. The pain was so intense in my back and it kept getting harder and harder to breathe.

We got to the hospital around 7:15 or so.  The midwife said they normally observe you for a while beforehand, but she could tell by my contractions that this was it. We skipped protocol and were admitted right away. 


I was checked shortly after, and was fully effaced and 4cm dilated.  She asked if I had any work done on my cervix before as she could feel all the scar tissue there. I let her know about my history with cysts, and it was from that. Apparently scar tissue leads to worse back pain and more intense contractions – so I was glad to hear there was a reason for it!

I labored for about 2.5 hours before getting my epidural.  You have to stay completely still during this process, which sounds fine – until a contraction hits. Not fun. After it kicked in, I was feeling much better. I was able to lay down and take a nap while Mark went and got some lunch.

Around 11am,  I was checked again and was already 6cm. I was also put on oxygen around this time. The nurse simply said that the baby needed some extra oxygen. The epidural had also started wearing off on my left side – or it just simply wasn’t taking. I felt the contractions in my hips and back again and they weren’t fun.

The midwife came in again around 12:30 to check me again and I jumped from 6 to 9.5cm in the past hour. We tried a push to see how it was going, and she said we should wait just a little bit longer to fully start. They said they’d be back at 2 to start pushing.

By 1:45pm, I thought I was going to die if someone didn’t come in to let me push. I was feeling all the pressure, along with the contractions still on my left side. Due to some other circumstances, the midwife and nurse didn’t head back in until 2:30 – and I can’t tell you how wonderful it felt to push!!

My vitals were being monitored the whole time, and apparently I had a fever that had been increasing. Normally that wouldn’t matter, but when baby is on his/her way out, and already needing oxygen, it wasn’t a good combo.

After pushing for an hour, the midwife suddenly said they needed to call the doctor in. He, along with about ten other people, came rushing in – saying we needed forceps and an episiotomy right away.

To say I was overwhelmed and frightened is an understatement. I was already emotional, a stranger and his whole team had come bursting in, and I was being told baby needed to come out pronto. Mark fought for them to not use any intervention, and luckily the doctor listened – for a little bit.

He let me try pushing again and I was so determined to get this little one out without forceps on their little head. I was so lightheaded, and exhausted emotionally and physically. I had the oxygen between every push and it was literally a lifesaver.

The doctor said he needed to try the forceps at this time because baby’s heart rate was well over 200 and that, along with my fever, wasn’t a good thing for baby. He was able to get one on, but then it slipped off.
 
During this time, I’m praying fervently that God would get this baby out without the forceps  - that he/she would be healthy – that God would give me the energy to push harder than ever – for baby’s head to move.

When the forcep slipped off, I gave a couple more pushes. I heard a pop and knew instantly it was my tailbone (I had broken it before in college and knew it had been damaged again).  Mark said that was the only time I screamed out – that pain is real! But then I felt baby’s head come out. Everyone was so excited and told me to keep going for the shoulders – and I felt those come out too.

The doctor placed the baby on my chest while Mark announced it was a BOY! I remember being in awe. Even though I called the baby a 'he' the whole time, I truly didn’t know. All the dreams I had were about a little toddler girl. But the week leading up to Levi arriving, I kept dreaming of an infant boy.

Levi was only on my chest for what seemed like a minute before the doctors whisked him away. He was blue from a lack of oxygen, and the NICU team had been called in. They got tubes down his throat and nose, and IVs inserted into his tiny hands. They had a separate oxygen mask on him too. I remember looking over and just being heartbroken seeing him crying with all these things on him.

While this was going on, the doctor was stitching me up – I had prayed so hard against any tearing, but ended up getting a fourth degree tear – the worst possible. In addition, I could feel the doctor sewing the whole time. He kept putting local anaesthesia in, but I could still feel the pain.

Eventually they brought Levi over to me and put him on my chest again, while the NICU doctor explained what was going on. He was having trouble transitioning to oxygen from fluid inside the womb. He wasn’t able to breathe room air yet, and needed to go up to the NICU to stay monitored and on oxygen.

After having a baby, you already feel empty. I had just pushed for a couple hours, had a traumatic doctor take over, and wasn’t allowed to just hold my baby. I was a wreck. Mark followed the doctors to be with Levi, and I was in the room with my nurse. I had just been destroyed physically, and left without both my best friend and my little one. I just kept balling. The nurse was amazing – she gave me a hug and let me know she understood how hard it was. She kept encouraging me and gave me comfort in the midst of the craziness. I’ll forever be thankful to God for giving me her.
 
About two hours later, I was able to order some food, and then was led up to the NICU to finally see Levi. As I was rolled up to his bed, I couldn’t stop crying. He had all these cords and monitors on him and he looked so small. The tube in this throat was the worst – it was so tiny but it was giving him nutrients. Something I wasn’t able to do because he wasn’t able to breathe without support yet.

I stayed with him for what seemed like no time at all before I had to go to the antepartum room. Our nurse gave me medications, and taught me how to pump. I pumped what I could for Levi, praying that I’d get to hold him soon.

That first night was rough. It took me over an hour of sitting on the toilet to be able to pee. I kept waking up feeling empty – missing little Levi. My dreams were scary and dark.

We woke up and met with various doctor’s to go over my own situation. I had been given antibiotics to deal with the fever, met with a doctor to talk about my tailbone, a midwife came in to talk to us about the delivery, and the doctor who delivered Levi came by to check on us. He was actually an incredibly nice guy and I apologised for being not happy to see him during the delivery…

Then we finally got to go up and see Levi. I was able to hold my baby boy for the first time and I could have stayed there for ages. His nurse explained that he had ripped out the oxygen himself, and wasn’t able to handle the air on his own yet. He was doing better, but still not ready to come off.

I kept trying to pump during this time, and getting next to nothing. I was so heartbroken. I felt like that was the ONE thing I could do for my son, and I was failing him. I’d get droplets, knowing full well that he needed much more than that. It’s still something I’m struggling with – but we’re getting there.

We spent Wednesday meeting  with a lactation consultant, visiting Levi, resting, and trying to sort out bills and birth certificates and all the many things that are thrown at you right after.

Levi had to spend the next night in the NICU as well. They had decreased his oxygen level that day, and were hoping he would be off soon. On Thursday we checked in on him again to try and feed him, and saw that he was completely off oxygen! It was such a joy to see that. He had also had his first bottle! We met with the NICU doctor and he explained that he thought we could take Levi home with us – that we would be discharged at the same time. A total miracle and answered prayer. At that point, we thought we’d have to go home separately. Something that my emotions just were not ready to process….

Levi had to get all these final tests done, and we had to wait on his circumcision as well. The day was spent walking from the third to fourth floor - something that was exhausting and painful on my body after everything, but I wanted to be with Levi as much as possible. By 4:30 on Thursday, he FINALLY was able to get his circumcision done – so I went and got discharged, Mark loaded up the car, and we waited in the NICU room with Levi while he recovered.

At 7:30pm, we pulled away from the hospital as a family of three. I was exhausted. I was crying. I wanted sleep. I wanted to hold Levi. I wanted to feed him. I wanted to just be in our home.

I’ll write another post on what postpartum has been like so far. That’s a whole other story that many people just don’t talk about. But I don’t plan on being silent on the whole process ;)

Despite it being wild couple days in the hospital, I can’t describe how happy we are to have little Levi home with us. 







The song below kept playing over and over in my head during labour, delivery, and when I'd wake up in the middle of the night crying and missing Levi. It's such a beautiful reminder that no matter what comes our way, nothing can take away our praise of the Lord.





O, what can take away
My hallelujah
No darkness can contain
My hallelujah
Your cross has made the way
For my hallelujah
My hallelujah
Nothing can take my hallelujah
Nothing can take my hallelujah
Shadows will fade, darkness will break
I'll keep on singing Your praise

Comments

Popular Posts